Rainbow Springs & Kiwi Encounter Combo
Set in 22 acres of beautiful native trees and streams Rainbow Springs is home to a huge variety of New Zealand’s most precious inhabitants including the rare Kiwi, with the park being home to New Zealand’s largest and most successful kiwi conservation centre, which has released over 1,000 kiwis into the wild since 1995.
Kiwi Encounter offers unique behind-the-scenes tours of a working kiwi nursery and hatchery operated by the National Kiwi Trust. This unique scientific attraction allows you an insight into the entire process of kiwi conservation – from kiwi egg collection in the wild, incubation, hatching and then raising of the kiwi until it’s ready to be released back into the wild. This option includes a 30 minute guided tour which departs on the hour from 10.00 am till 4.00 pm daily. People visiting Kiwi Encounter also help to fund the facility thereby directly contributing to kiwi conservation.
Added to this intimate view of one of the world’s living treasures, you will also be able to explore the many free flight aviaries at Rainbow Springs, feed the birds their breakfast, come face to face with pre-history in the eyes of many tuatara, talk to Jenny the hand-reared kea, feed huge wild trout and experience the wonder of the live bird show featuring some of the funniest feathered performers you will ever see.
- Rainbow Springs is open every day from 8.30am. On Christmas Day the park closes at 5.00pm (last ticket sales are at 4pm).
- During Winter, the last ticket sold is 9.00pm. The car park entry gate is also closed at 9.30pm, with the Park closing at 10.00pm. During Summer (daylight saving hours), the last ticket sold is at 10.00pm. The car park entry gate is also closed at this time, with the Park closing at 10.30pm.
- Kiwi Encounter Behind the Scenes tours operate daily on the hour between 10.00am and 4.00pm.
- You can see kiwi in the open air night aviary from 7.00pm in the winter and 8.30pm in the summer.
- After making your booking online, you will receive a confirmation booking voucher which can be handed to the reception desk at the attraction or activity.