Follow the facinating story of the Pink and White Terraces and the catastrophic eruption of Mt Tarawera which destroyed them.
- Rotorua Museum
A great place to learn about the history of Rotorua, in particular the devastating Mt Tarawera eruption in 1886 which destroyed the eighth wonder of the world – the Pink and White Terraces. The museum is in the historic Bath House building, located in the Government Gardens and is a building holding the highest classification under the New Zealand Historic Places Act. As a storehouse of the community’s treasures, the museum is administered by Rotorua District Council and is responsible for many important collections.
Te Wairoa was a thriving Maori village on the shores of Lake Tarawera. This was where vistors stayed prior to taking their guided tour to the world famous Pink and White Terraces. The village was buried during the eruption of Mt Tarawera in 1886. The excavated village offers a first-hand insight into the chaos and mayhem that transpired on that fatal night. It is an authentic appreciation of the people of Te Wairoa, both Maori and European, on how they lived… and died.
This is where the survivors of the Mt Tarawera eruption went to and is where many of their descendants live today. Discover their unique lifestyle and traditions utilising the landscape of erupting geothermal activity, hot thermal springs and bubbling hot pools . Join a guided tour and witness the phenomena of mother nature and learn how the Maori in the Village have come to live in harmony within this unique landscape and environment.
- Visits to all attractions can be achieved easily in one day, although this can be extended over more than one day if a more leisurely time is desired.
- Rotorua Museum Open Daily (except Christmas Day) Summer: 9.00am – 8.00pm (October – March) Winter: 9.00am – 5.00pm (April – September)
- Buried Village open 9.00am daily till 5.00pm during summer and 9.00am to 4.30pm during winter.
- Whakarewarewa – The Living Thermal Village open 8.30am – 5.00pm (last ticket sales are at 4:15pm). Closed Christmas Day.
- After making your booking online, you will receive confirmation booking vouchers which can be handed to the reception desk at the attractions or activities.