Get up close and personal with New Zealand’s largest active volcano.
A tour for those wishing to take in the beauty of the Tongariro National Park and Mount Ruapehu with the added experience of visiting NZ’s highest cafe.
We don’t do things by halves here in the Central North Island and the size and beauty of the mountains are an example of that. There are 3 mighty mountains located in the national park; Tongariro, Ngauruhoe, and Ruapehu. These great peaks are home to the largest ski fields in New Zealand and our country’s newest and most active volcano. It’s also home to “Mount Doom” from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
What better way to take it all in than a beautiful scenic drive through the National Park to the base of Mt Ruapehu. Take a chairlift ride up over the remarkable terrain to 2020m above sea level to Knoll’s Ridge Cafe.
The views from the top are spectacular. From Knoll’s Ridge, the scale of Mt Ruapehu makes you feel small in comparison. It really must be seen to be believed.
After an incredible day discovering what the mountains have to offer you can sit back and relax as we travel back to Taupo.
Prefer to create your own custom Taupo tour? Contact us with your dream tour.
- Departs Taupo
- Scenic drive through National Park
- Tawhai Falls Track
- Includes scenic chairlift ride up Whakapapa ski field
- Refreshments at Knoll Ridge Cafe – NZ’s highest Cafe
- You’ll need sturdy walking shoes and warm clothing to suit variable alpine conditions.
- Includes packed lunch and refreshments
- Allow approximately 7 hours
- Pick up from your accommodation included
- Due to the elevation and nature of the National Park, this trip is extremely weather dependent. While we do our best to make sure every trip goes ahead, there may be circumstances we have to postpone/alter the trip details to suit the climate.
When booking please include your preferred date of travel and where you will be staying.