Individually, each attraction in this drive yourself pass is distinctive, yet collectively they bring to life the timeless and powerful story of the Mt Tarawera eruption.
A great place to learn about the history of Rotorua, in particular the devastating Mt Tarawera eruption in 1886 which destroyed the eighth wonder of the world – the Pink and White Terraces. The museum is in the historic Bath House building, located in the Government Gardens. It is a building holding the highest classification under the New Zealand Historic Places Act. As a storehouse of the community’s treasures, the museum is administered by Rotorua District Council and is responsible for many important collections.
Waimangu Volcanic Valley
Explore the World’s youngest geothermal system created by the Mt Tarawera eruption of 1886. A protected scenic reserve and wildlife refuge, Waimangu Volcanic Valley geothermal park encompasses beautiful Lake Rotomahana and is set in pristine New Zealand bush. See unique ecology, rare botany and fascinating geothermal features such as steaming volcanic crater lakes.
This is where the survivors of the Mt Tarawera eruption went to. It is even where many of their descendants live today. Discover their unique lifestyle and traditions utilising the landscape of erupting geothermal activity, hot thermal springs and bubbling hot pools . Join a guided tour and witness the phenomena of mother nature. You’ll also learn how the Maori in the village have come to live in harmony within this unique landscape and environment.
- Visits to all attractions can be achieved easily in one day, although this can be extended over more than one day if a more leisurely time is desired.
- Rotorua Museum Open Daily (except Christmas Day) Summer: 9.00am – 8.00pm (October – March) Winter: 9.00am – 5.00pm (April – September)
- Waimangu Volcanic Valley open 8:30am daily till 5.00pm
- Whakarewarewa – The Living Thermal Village open 8.30am – 5.00pm (last ticket sales are at 4:15pm). Closed Christmas Day.
- After making your booking online, you will receive confirmation booking vouchers. These can be handed to the reception desk at the attractions or activities.