Tongariro River – Grade 3 Whitewater Rafting
Join the awesome crew at Tongariro River Rafting for an unforgettable adventure! You’ll start with an on-shore safety briefing and paddle instructions, then you’ll be on the water and rafting!
This trip is grade 3 – an ideal grade for experienced paddlers or first-time rafters. In 2.5 hours you navigate over 60 heart-pounding, roller coaster rapids with an expert guide at the helm. This is your chance to see some epic sights, only accessible by raft! It’s an adrenalin-pumping experience and you’ll enjoy some spectacular unspoilt wilderness.
The Tongariro River Rafting base is located in Turangi, about 45 minutes from Taupo. You can either meet your guide at the base or take advantage of the complimentary pick up from Turangi or Taupo. In summer, you’ll be treated to some wholesome deli food to keep you going, or in winter there is hot soup and fresh bread to warm you up. The winter trip has a warm extra too – a hot swim in the thermal pools – awesome!!
You won’t get cold on the water! You’ll be provided with all the gear you need to keep you warm and safe. All you need to bring is your swimwear, a towel and your sense of adventure. The guides will take some action snaps of you along the way and you have the option to buy these at the end and download them straight away so you can get that insta-proof you need!
- Grade 3 white water rafting on the Tongariro River
- Total trip time is 3.5 – 4 hours (2 – 2.5 on the water)
- Polar fleece jersey, splash jacket, helmet, wetsuit, booties and life jacket are provided
- Refreshments are provided
- Departs from The Rafting Centre, 95 Atirau Rd, Turangi (free pickups from Taupo available on request)
- Summer departures, November 1 to March 31, 9am & 2pm
- April departures, April 1 – 30, 9am & 1pm
- Winter departures, May 1 to October 31, 12 noon
- Child age is 10 – 12 years
- GoPro Friendly