Discover the unique lifestyle and traditions of the Maori living in Whakarewarewa – The Living Thermal Village. See the people demonstrate how they utilise the natural geothermal wonders of erupting geothermal activity, hot thermal springs and bubbling hot pools for cooking and bathing in everyday life.
Join a guided tour and witness the phenomena of mother nature and how the Maori in the village have come to live in harmony within this unique landscape and environment.
The Guided Tour:
- Explanation of village lifestyle – discover and meet the people of Tuhourangi/Ngati Wahiao
- See first-hand the geothermal activity and how it is used in everyday life
- Learn about the traditions and culture which has been passed down and upheld for generations.
- Listen as your guide shares stories of the Maori migration from the legendary homeland Hawaiiki to Aotearoa, New Zealand. Discover how the geothermal activity came to be in the area and stories surrounding the Mt Tarawera eruption. The guides will share their experiences and stories which have been passed on to them through the generations.
- View the Ancestral Meeting House (fully carved)
- Geothermal Features – see bubbling mud pools, beautiful mineral pools and the famous Pohutu Geyser which explodes 30 metres in the air around 20 times a day.
- Explanation of the local kohanga reo – The retention of the Maori language is of importance to the people and culture.
- Opening hours Daily (except for Christmas Day) 8.30am to 5pm.
- Guided tours on the hour from 9.00am with last tour at 4.00pm.
- Maori Cultural Performance times are 11.15am and 2pm.
- After making your booking online, you will receive a confirmation booking voucher which can be handed to the reception desk at the attraction or activity.