Fly to and land on New Zealand’s only permanently active volcano White Island. Leaving the Rotorua city lakefront we fly north past our northern lakes district before crossing the coast on track to White Island. Arriving overhead the volcano enjoy aerial views of the active crater before landing on this lunar like surface. Here embark upon a leisurely guided tour of the island’s crater floor to view active steam vents ‘fumaroles’, hot streams, vibrant sulphur formations and the steaming crater. This landscape is constantly changing as the activity forms new features and removes old ones. The Crater Lake changes in depth and temperature so that from one day to the next the landscape is different.
Part of our tour includes a walk through crumbling mining ruins to view the weathered remains of what was a working factory built in 1923 and abandoned in 1933. Tours on this privately owned volcano are conducted by your pilot / guide whose wealth of knowledge about the island’s history and geology enhances the experience.
Return flights to and from the island takes in aerial views of the wider Bay of Plenty.
(Allow 2.5-3 hours)
$835.00 per adult
$626.00 per child
- All flights depart from the Rotorua City Lakefront, Memorial Drive
- This flight operate with a minimum of 2 adult fares
- Children under 2 are free of charge
- Children aged 2-11 years pay a child fare which is 75% of the adult fare
- As per New Zealand law, Volcanic Air requires individual passenger weights at the time of booking. If an individual passenger weight exceeds 110kg a surcharge may apply. When passengers exceed declared weight on arrival Volcanic Air reserve the right to apply a surcharge. The surcharge equivalent to an additional adult fare will be applied in the event that a change to a larger aircraft is required.
- Please wear comfortable closed in walking shoes and clothes appropriate to the conditions on the day. It is always a good idea to bring a light jacket, water, sunscreen and of course a camera!